Saturday, June 29, 2013

Presenting at a "Mini-Conference" and Post-Tornado woes

I am soooo nervous! I got asked to present at a Mini-Conference at our Regional Service Center in about a month! I am super excited, but I do not have access to some of my school stuff right now. You see 3.5 days before school let out, we experienced an F1 tornado after school. We had some people on campus for the annual sports banquet, but everyone was safe. 3 of our 4 instructional buildings sustained quite a bit of damage, mostly water, but 1 building has some structural issues. My classroom is in one of the damaged buildings, and we have been asked to stay away unless just absolutely necessary, so here I am unable to get to my resources. To top it off, I am presenting on something that I was not able to work into my first year of teaching in my current school and assignment, but it is something that I have missed terribly! My topic: Math Stations in Upper Elementary! Math Stations are my love in the Mathematics classroom, and I am passionate about figuring out how to get them back in my classroom this upcoming school year. Math Stations were the best thing I ever did for my 4th graders, and I never structured them the same way because as you well know students are different and different classes have different dynamics. It is all about doing what is best for you and your students. I saw my students own concepts that they struggled with and become familiar with vocabulary in a whole new way. Wish me luck as I prepare, and if there is anyone reading out there, I will be working the next few weeks on my presentation and will share out some of my favorite resources and structures.

No comments:

Post a Comment